Friday, January 11, 2008

A reminder

The second half of January is always a challenge for me. The joy of Christmas fades quickly and my resolutions become just a few more items on the to-do list. Mix in 17 consecutive days of rain and that's a recipe for one grumpy, discontent mama. I'm slowly learning that my attitude carries over to the whole household. The hand that rocks the cradle really does rule the world...at least my little corner of the world. But God has a way of getting our attention sometimes and I think He just may have served up an attitude adjustment this week. While I was wrestling Luke to the ground so he could go to pre-school fully-clothed, Andy was dumping toys all over the house and my attitude was headed south in a hurry. Of course, the phone rang and everybody knows that children misbehave as soon as the phone goes to mama's ear. I think it's programmed into their DNA: phone rings...mama distracted...slug your brother. But, I digress...
The caller is a friend of mine, who just received a cancer diagnosis. I could barely see past my own frustrations of the early morning hours to even comprehend what she was saying. Somehow the background noise faded and I was able to find the words to pray with her. The scenario is frightening, but hopeful. The cancer is in the early stages, but the doctor is optimistic that he can remove all of it very soon.
I have felt convicted about my attitude ever since. I would like to tell you that I changed my way of thinking right there when I hung up the phone. In reality, it has taken me a couple of days to truly recognize that we have SO MUCH to be thankful for. We have our health, our material needs are met, our extended families are doing well, the boys are way more than we could have hoped for. Feeling content is difficult in this world of excess. I can almost always find something to covet. But this week I received a reminder that I have it pretty good.

2 comments:

Cavanaugh Family said...

Heidi~I feel the same way. It is so hard in the midst of all the flurry to recognize just how fortunate we are. As Jodi says "hug your kids tight". I had the same realization after Erica's tagic death. It was such a reminder to me about how precious life is. Hang in there!

Jodi said...

This is a powerful reminder. Thank you for posting it. I hope things turn out OK for your friend.