Thursday, January 17, 2008

Food Fight

Before I was a parent, I often observed other people's children refusing to eat the food on their plates. I can remember sitting at the table for an eternity as a kid, refusing to eat my pork chop. And my lima beans. Probably anything green, to be perfectly honest. I am a picky eater, particularly if there are vegetables involved. Well, I think God has a sense of humor (and he also answers prayer) because I'm thinking my parents prayed that I would get what I deserved.
I deserve a picky eater and I got one. I've read books, watched talk shows, consulted other parents, posted questions on internet bulletin boards, blah, blah, blah...
I'm not sure why I fight this battle, because it seems to be an endless, uphill fight. The results (a clean plate) are rarely achieved and I'm generally much grumpier than before the meal was served.
I started reading Cloud and Townsend's Boundaries With Kids because I've come to the conclusion that my boundaries are often, well, "mushy". I find it difficult to be consistent, which doesn't bode well for the little people around here. In an effort to make the boundaries more precise, I threatened Luke with "nothing else to eat until lunch" if he didn't eat his breakfast. It's the same toast we serve every morning, but today he refused to eat it. To add to my frustration, none of my tactics were effective. He still went out the door without eating anything and I felt anything but victorious. Sometimes I step back and really think about the events of my day and wonder, "How did I get here?"

1 comment:

Cavanaugh Family said...

Hmmm...I wonder this often myself. Great book...I am reading the Boundaries in Marriage that they wrote. Just as good! Sometimes I think we just have to pick our battles...just when you think you figured them out. They like it! Ugh! Have a great day.