Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Stink-o-riffic!

Our delightful first born has strongly resisted our requests to use the bathroom for all necessary functions, if you know what I'm saying. In fact, I am living in denial that he is nearly 4 and hasn't achieved this essential life skill. Today, he jumped off the couch and informed me that he needed to do a stinky. This has never occurred before. We went to the bathroom and parked on the little potty. He was a little apprehensive. We remained calm, cool and collected. We chose 2 of our favorite books, "Swimmy" and "Is Your Mama a Llama?" After the first book, he informed me that his stinky was talking to him. When I inquired about the topic of conversation, he said his stinky was talking about Andy and also knew all about Luke's favorite shows. This was a little weird for me. If bodily fluids and other such items can talk, we might have bigger problems than just going to the bathroom in our pants. Just a thought.
After our second book was complete, I realized Luke had taken care of business very discreetly. We yelled and high-fived one another, I lavished him with praise, promised him a much-coveted prize. It was ridiculous. I was helping him get cleaned up and he said, "Mama, I rock!" That's 4 year old speak for "I did something really great."
We celebrated some more by calling Daddy and bragging a little bit. Of course, his new prize (a matchbox car) became his most cherished possession for the rest of the afternoon.

2 comments:

Andrea Sielaff said...

ever hear of Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo on South Park? Sounds like Luke has a similar kind of BM. funny story, Heidi!

Anonymous said...

I don't knwo how to potty train my son. He is 2 1/2 and I am just trying to start. Nothing motivates him. Nothing