Wednesday, March 26, 2008

He Eats!

I've seen more than enough commentary regarding the dangers of blogging about the mundane and ordinary events of one's life. I'm sure very few would like to see the contents of my 18 month old's mouth in mid-chew, but the fact that he is holding a fork and feeding himself is far from mundane. In our house, that's a photo op. You see, I have spoon-fed this little precious nothing but pureed baby food for a very long time. In fact, I don't even want to stop and count how many months he's eaten that stuff. (Let's see, at 73 cents a jar, 4 or 5 jars a day...oh, that's enough accounting for now). I got so aggravated with him not feeding himself that I started plucking him from his chair if he didn't eat what I offered him. Well, apparently the message was received because he started consuming normal, non-pureed people food this week. He is still battling his yogurt addiction, but we will continue to enable him for as long as necessary.
In other news, Megan and Jack invited us to join them at the golden arches today. The boys had little interest in eating, just wanted to roam around the playland. I saw Luke point to the top of the play structure and tell Andy, "it's very scary up there, Andy". Andy doesn't seem to be scared of anything, so I wondered what he thought about that. A few minutes later, my mommy conversation with Megan is interrupted by a very loud whail from the top of the playland.
You guessed it. My ever-so-cautious first born had climbed to the top and was too scared to find his way down. We sent Jack up to get him, but Luke was crying very hard and not willling to listen to the voice of reason. Megan was kind enough (and brave enough...who knows what's in the top of that thing?) to climb up and guide him down. I greeted him at the bottom of the slide, cheering like crazy. He would have none of it. He just cried and cried, then cried some more. Then, just like that, he was over it and he climbed back up to the top several times. He came back to the table, congratulating himself after every climb. What an interesting creature, this boy of ours.

No comments: