Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thrilling Thursday

It's been a rough week here in suburbia. The dog continues to be super high maintenance with his paw injury...can't get wet, can't lick it, has to wear a lampshade collar to obstruct the licking, needs anxiety medication because he can't tolerate the collar, blah, blah, blah.
I told him to stop licking for the 17th time this morning and Luke says, "that's what dogs do, mom."
Astute observation, I guess.
Luke's preschool teacher decided a few weeks ago that she just couldn't hack it anymore and handed in her resignation. But she promised to stay until a replacement was found. I don't know all the messy details, but she developed a mysterious illness that prevented her from honoring that commitment. Three year olds don't understand the concept of a substitute teacher. They were mortified to hear of their teacher's departure and even more aggravated by the ever-changing substitute. At last, the replacement arrived yesterday. I couldn't stand to watch, so I didn't stick around. There were more than enough moms hovering in this tiny little shoebox of a classroom, making sure she didn't mess up. Everyone came out alive, so I guess it was a great first day.
To top off our week, Luke woke up at 4:30 this morning and yelled until I came into his room. He said he didn't feel good. I was extremely sympathetic, gave him some medicine and told him not to call me until it was light outside. Well, by 7:30 he was awake again and whimpering in pain. I'm so glad I cancelled our plans for the day, because by 10am he was vomiting all over the floor. I tried to introduce the concept of using a bucket, but he didn't quite make it. It's hard to explain what vomiting is to a 3 year old.
I must say, although I don't have much good news (nor any snazzy pictures), I am so grateful we ripped up our carpet and installed the pergo. Cleaning up a mess such as that was a snap. There you have it, our thrilling Thursday in a nutshell.

2 comments:

Tracy McCahan said...

I for one am very disappointed that there aren't photos of that! Paints a pretty enough picture all by itself!

Terada Family said...

Aaah, it sounds all too familiar. You know how many similar days, weeks, and months I have had that sound just like that? A ridiculous number them!!!!! I am endlessly taking care of a sick child daytime, evening, and middle of the night.

Did anyone ever tell us how hard it is to be a mom???? Somebody must have, but I sure do not remember it! I wish I was already on the other end of it to tell you it gets better, but I can't. :) I'm not going to lie to you either, I think it may actually get worse. At least for me anyway, on top of all the other seeming endless chaos, the kids are fighting like there is no tomorrow (they must have a billion toys and the only one they want is the one the other one has)!! UUUGH! Makes for a lot of screaming!

Hang in there! Adrienne