Friday, October 5, 2007

Car Talk

Several weeks ago, Luke stuffed 3 paper clips and a pair of earrings into the CD player of the Silver Bullet (aka: our van). Surprisingly enough, this damaged the amplifier and it no longer produces sound. Now, I am generally an optimistic person. I tried to think positively about this new turn of events. These thoughts went something like, "oh, good, now I'll have time to think in the car. I won't have the distraction of the radio, I might even consider a little prayer time".
Ha! Luke has taken this opportunity to torture his captive audience. He talks every single second that he is in that car.
So, being the blogger that I am, perhaps I will document some of these conversations...
Luke threw I gigantic tantrum today because he wasn't allowed to take his friend's toy back to our house. Did I mention this is a gynormous Lightnin' McQueen car that talks when you push the buttons? Luke adores the little red car and simply must have every one that he encounters. He would not leave that house without the car. After I pried it from his grip and forced him out the door, the negotiating began.
"Can I have that Lightnin' McQueen car, mama? That's Luke's car, that's not Reilly's car, that's my car, that car's going to my house, it's not staying at Reilly's house, can I have that car? Can I stay here? I WANNA STAY AT REILLY'S HOUSE!!"
"We don't take our friend's toys." (said forcefully, with teeth gritted, while manipulating his resistant body into his car seat)
"I WANT LIGHTNIN' MCQUEEN! THAT'S MY CAR!"
"Listen, if you give away all of your binkies (pacifiers) then I will buy that car for you."
"What did you say, mama?"
" If you say goodbye to all of your binkies and never use them again, you may have that car."
"Never use my binkies again? Throw them away?"
"Yes, throw them away, never again, no more binkies."
"Oh, mama, you are such a funny girl." (boyish, 3 year old laughter)

Yes. Yes, I am.

No comments: