Friday, June 15, 2007

Dance Like Nobody's Watchin'

Luke's buddy, Jack, came over for a play date yesterday. Luke has recently entered the world of imaginative play. Jack definitely has some experience with this phase of preschool life, so he made an excellent master for apprentice Luke. Our vast collection of Shrek 3 Happy Meal toys were living a lonely existence (prior to Jack's arrival on the scene), long since discarded in the toy box. Jack and Luke to the rescue! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the battles that ensued, Gingerbread Man and Puss 'n Boots duking it out on the top deck of the Hot Wheels cars parking garage. After a quick refueling of Caprisun and Fruity Snacks, Jack asked me to "turn up the apple" (this loosely translates to turn up the volume on the Ipod, please). Luke and Jack rocked out to "Life is a Highway" by Rascal Flatts. This is also known as the Cars movie song, by the way. These boys showed no inhibitions. I've never seen a 3 year old play the air guitar quite like that. So, as I'm enjoying the free entertainment performed on the stage of my very own kitchen floor, I see a long-forgotten magnet hanging on the refrigerator:
Dance as though no one is watching you...sing as though no one can hear you

Now that I'm a grown up and responsible for little people on a daily basis, I get so bogged down in the mundane tasks of everyday living. I don't feel much like dancing and I'd rather grumble over another load of laundry than make a joyful noise. But today I was reminded that I have much to be thankful for and so many reasons to dance.

No comments: