Sunday, October 19, 2008

Whew! We Need A Weekend from Our Weekend

Uncle Steve, Luke and the cousins getting this pumpkin party started. The kids love it!
Andy chatting it up with Grammie. It was nice to see her laugh a little bit.
Everybody say, "pumpkin guts!"

We didn't intend to be so busy this weekend, but it definitely panned out that way. I always estimate that time will stand still on Saturday mornings, no one will need anything and I'll be able to check several tasks off my "list". Ha! It was soccer Saturday for our family. Luke had a game in Enumclaw, so we loaded up and headed south. The other team scored repeatedly, as we don't seem to grasp the concept of defense yet. Luke would run as fast as he could to catch his opponent, but wouldn't quite attempt to take the ball away from him. Yet he dutifully returned the soccer ball to the referee each time his opponent scored another goal. I finally gave up. I realized winning was not as important to him as it was to me. Just to remind me of what really matters, we spent the late afternoon at my niece's soccer game. I guess you would call this 'select' soccer or 'club' soccer. She is the smallest and probably the fastest kid on the team. She definitely possesses some skills for an 11 year old. We were impressed. However, I was not too impressed by the attitudes of the other adults in the stands. After five minutes of listening to them gripe and complain about every single little thing and belittle the coach's knowledge, I had to get up and move. I went and stood at the fence to record some footage with the video camera. Suddenly, I was thankful for my little 4 year old and his care free attitude on the soccer field. He didn't care about winning or the choices his coach made. He was just happy to run around and be a boy.

We finished the evening with some spaghetti and pumpkin carving with my family. What a fun Saturday!
Today, Luke was scheduled to sing at the church where he attends preschool. Not a solo, mind you, but a group effort. I stayed home with Andy because I thought he would be a wreck after all the excitement of yesterday. I didn't watch the video yet, but Luke informed me that he didn't want to sing because all of those people were looking. That's totally what I would have done, too.

No comments: