Monday, August 11, 2008

The Eye, Part Two

Luke had a follow-up eye surgery this morning. I think it went really well. I'm sure the picture isn't much to look at, but this is definitely a day for the scrapbook and the blog. He was such a good sport, so brave and calm. I think I was more anxious than he was. He decided to make it extra exciting, though...We were waiting in our little pre-op cubby and he left the room to look at something, then came back through the curtain. He was walking and looking over his shoulder and walked right into the counter at the nurse's station. Did I mention this very sharp counter has a corner that is right at eye level for a 4 year old boy? I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Thankfully, it poked him in the soft tissue right below his left eye. Although we signed up for surgery on both eyes, the doctor didn't operate on that eye at all. The nurse said it wouldn't make any difference, might just add to the swelling and discoloration. Good grief.
The surgery seems like it was a success. You never know with eyes because we have to wait for the swelling to go away and see if both eyes are aligned properly. I was extremely nervous this morning, but I really feel relieved and optimistic tonight. The recovery was rough, just because the local anesthesia prevented Luke from seeing anything out of that eye. He did get up and play this afternoon and said he wanted to go for a walk, so things must be clearing up for him. We'll go back to the doctor at the end of the week for a re-check. We are so appreciative of our friends and family, sending us encouraging words and lifting us up in prayer.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Just happened upon your blog through another.

Good luck to your son recovery from eye surgery.

Thought I'd comment as we were just in your area.....vacationing.
We went to the Woodland Park Zoo, Safeco Field to watch the Twins play, Silver Falls, Leavenworth, etc.