Saturday, May 3, 2008

Yakkity Yak, Don't Talk Back

This is our new mantra. We visited a counselor this week to gain some insight on our beloved Luke's interesting and astonishing behavior. She was quite interesting herself and presented a few simple solutions. First, he needs 11 hours of sleep. I nearly laughed out loud. He gets about 9 most days and refuses to nap. Did I mention he usually gets up at 5 or 5:30 am on a regular basis? It's delightful. No one should have to parent a child at that hour of the day. But, we tucked him in at 7pm for two nights in a row. He was like a different kid the next day. I actually enjoyed being his mother again. Amazing!
The next recommendation was talk less and do more; no lectures, no warnings. This translates to taking action immediately when he behaves poorly. She said we were talking at him so much that he had probably just tuned us out. Since our consequences weren't very severe, he didn't really have a reason to modify his behavior. Hmmmm. Lazy parenting is a difficult habit to break. I'm trying, but I find myself falling back on the same old behaviors.
The last suggestion was a book called Raising a Spirited Child. I already owned it, but hadn't read it yet. I'll keep you posted on that one.
It feels so good to talk to someone outside of the situation. I feel as though a huge burden was lifted.

1 comment:

Cavanaugh Family said...

Hi Heidi,

I so know how you feel. Liam did this same thing when he was Luke;s age. Stopped napping and did not do much sleeping at night. He was a ball of ragging emotions most days that I could hardly contain. We god some counselors advice as well. Same thing...be consistent on a schedule. Have quiet time in room 1 hr ea day. Stop talking so much and take action.

I have to say we did all of that and within 3-4 months he really was a different kid. He likes to know what is happening at all times and when. He is not the spontaneous one.

Then God gave us Reilly who sleeps like 12-13 hrs a night and asks to go to bed and does everything on his own. He throws his own tantrums but completley different then Liams. So we start all over...

Isn't parenting fun! I just ordered a book called Love & Logic hoping to get some better insight on how to deal with the sibiling rivalry.

Hope you are doing good.

Love,
Jess