Thursday, February 5, 2009

An Epileptic Dog?!

Seriously. This dog is becoming rather high-maintenance. I love him like a child, but I just can't wrap my mind around the concept. Last summer, he seized on the sidewalk in our neighborhood. My neighbors were convinced he had a stroke. He was fine within a few minutes, but it was very frightening. The vet ruled out a stroke, but recommended we watch for more seizures. Months passed and I didn't think anything else about it. We were outside yesterday, enjoying some beautiful spring-like weather. We were beginning the production of cleaning up and moving toward going in when I heard the scraping and clawing of Jake's paws on the cement floor in the garage. It was like he slipped and fell going into the house. Luke started yelling that something was wrong with Jake. I found him leaning against the refrigerator, looking very afraid and all of his claws were "out", like he was trying to grip the floor and could not. I encouraged him to lie down but he was very tense. Then he raced across the room to his bed and had a horrible seizure. I ran out the door, screaming for Steve, who had taken the boys back out to keep them occupied. My neighbor saw me screaming and crying, thought there was a person inside my house having a seizure. She watched the boys while Steve went back in the house. Jake was slowly returning to his normal self, but seemed scared and confused. We made him go outside because he reeked from having an accident. The vet recommends seizure meds but I am so uncertain. I don't like medicating a dog long-term. I'm also afraid of the side effects and wondering if it is even necessary. Ugh. Who knew pet ownership would be complicated.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Ah, yes, one of my cats has 'allergies'. Of course, we don't know what it is he's allergic to. And, after the initial onset, they don't seem to be bothering him, so we don't worry about them. The same cat got bitten by a feral cat about a month ago. By the time the kid mentioned it to me, the wound was absessed. Fortunately, it didn't need stints put in (huh? They do that for cats?), but he was on antibiotics, and I had to clean the wound twice a day. His hair is starting to grow back in, but I don't think it'll ever be the same.

Good luck finding a solution!