Monday, September 17, 2007

The Little Fireman

Luke's Halloween costume arrived in the mail today. He is just a teeny tiny bit excited. Presently he is wearing it while eating PB&J and watching his new favorite show, "Fireman Sam". Ah, it's good to be three. He is very eager to ride in a fire truck. I really hope the pre- school has a fire station field trip on the calendar.
In other news...Luke went to the bathroom at pre-school ALL BY HIMSELF. For those of you who have witnessed our long, slow (agonizing) potty training process, you might just feel the need to shout "Hooray!". I high-fived Mrs. Leigh when she shared this little tidbit with me. I spent several minutes praising Luke for his achievements. Once we were in the car and on the way home, he shared with me that he hit one of his friends and Mrs. Leigh had to talk to him about it. Hmmm. We can't have everything, I guess.
Luke's verbal abilities have really blossomed over the past several months. Although, I must admit I grow a little weary of the chatter and I'm woefully ill-equipped to deal with the "hard" questions. A teenage boy was killed here in Maple Valley last week. Apparently a he and his skateboard collided with a dump truck. Flowers and balloons are sitting by the side of the road, which happens to be a frequent route we travel. Luke wanted to know what happened. Honesty is the best policy, right? We told him the boy was hit by a dump truck and he died. DIED??
How exactly does one explain "died" to a three year old?
I thought I would be extra honest and tell him that everyone will die someday.
Perhaps that wasn't the best choice.
As we are driving home that way today (I must confess I went the long way on the way to preschool to avoid all the questions), Luke begins to name everyone he can think of and wants to know if they will die, too. Poor kid. I hope he isn't too traumatized.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very cute!